Pages

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Runway Report: Elie Saab Spring 2015 Couture

Always a highlight of Paris Haute Couture Fashion Week is Elie Saab. For Spring 2015 Couture, the king of the red carpet looked back through his childhood in the 60's and 70's in his home of Beirut, Lebanon. The collection entitled "Beirut, Chasing a Dream" was created to reflect Mr Saab's journey. "I'm always transported back to the city where I was born, somewhere between the Mediterranean Sea and the mountains." The oak and olive trees that that made up the set of the show. "Women in ankle length dresses, trapeze dresses, high waist skirts, embroidered and sheer tops wading through downtown." This was the Beirut that Saab remembers and I think he translated perfectly to the runway in his collection that featured many of the same detailing and styles, while not looking like costumes. I could see Jerry Hall and Diana Ross wearing this collection in the 1970's just as much as I can see any modern woman wearing these vintage inspired creations. What I really loved about this collection was the exuberant use of feathers. Feathers are one of my absolute favorite type of embellishments, and if this collection is any indication we will be seeing them show up on the red carpets quite a bit over the next few months!
Spanish supermodel Nieves Alvarez, burlesque beauty Dita von Teese, and Princess Clotilde Courau were all seated front row, taking in this absolutely amazing collection. They were no doubt picking out red carpet ensembles for the bevy of events that they attend over the year. As with most Elie Saab collections, all of my readers will be seeing it a lot when it comes to my red carpet wish lists. This collection spans ages and decades and I really cant wait to see the red carpet looks that will undoubtedly come from this collection. Mr Saab said of the collection, "I want to pay homage to the people of this city who never stopped dreaming, who never stopped believing. With this collection, I too have wished to celebrate Beirut. I hope it brings you its loving spirit, its elegance, its douceur de vivre." I believe that Mr Saab attained his goal that he set for this collection and then some.

No comments:

Post a Comment