Pages

Friday, December 25, 2015

2015 End of the Year Style Awards: Best Dressed of 2015

First off I would like to wish all of my readers a very Merry Christmas. I hope everyone is spending the day with family and enjoying the day. On this day of celebration and gift giving I am gifting to all of you a host of beautiful women in my Best Dressed of the Year list. Taking the top spot is Lea Seydoux in custom bright sunshine yellow Prada at the 2015 BAFTA Awards. This was a major moment that made my jaw drop the moment I saw it. For the most part I was very disappointed in the BAFTA red carpet as there was nothing all that interesting until Lea showed up. This dramatic yet extremely elegant gown is one of the best things that Prada has ever put on the red carpet. It was however hard to choose between Lea's looks as they have all been amazing this year. I am excited to continue to see Lea be embraced by mainstream films because I want to see her on more big promo tour red carpets.
Following closely to Lea is Emmy Rossum who exuded lady like elegance at the The New York Botanical Garden's annual Conservatory Ball wearing a beautiful water inspired Carolina Herrera Fall 2015 RTW. If Lea and Prada weren't such a match made in heaven this would have been my number one look of the year. Everything about this look exudes chicness, from the diamond drop earrings to the sweeping updo, and the red lip. This will be a look that will rank in Emmy's record books for many years to come. 

Sonam Kapoor is a stunning spokesmodel for L'Oreal Paris in India. Before she got her hands on this contract I had no idea who she was but slowly over the years she has been taking the Cannes Film Festival by storm and I have been loving more and more of her looks. This year I fell in love with this stunning Ashi Studio couture gown that Sonam wore for the L’Oreal Paris ‘Matte or Gloss’ Cannes Collection Launch prior to this years festival. The sculptural-ness of this gown made me absolutely fall in love with it. This gown is so unique in it's shape that most would end up being overwhelmed, and Sonam worked it like it owed her back rent. 

Kerry Washington stepped out for the 2015 Emmy Awards and she worked the hell out of this Marc Jacobs Spring 2016 RTW completely embellished cocktail dress. Kerry broke standard awards show dress code rules by showing up in a short dress. While I would have been even more in love with this as a gown I applaud Kerry for stepping out of the standard box and going with a look from my favorite Spring 2016 RTW collection. This collection was made for adventurous spirits like Kerry. Oh and on a side note, Kerry is the only woman to make an appearance on both this years Best and Worst Dressed lists.
Kate Hudson and Atelier Versace has always been a match made in heaven. This white gown embellished with swarovski crystals and its plunging neckline has been on my mind all year. As I think back on all of my favorite moments that Kate Hudson has had on the red carpet almost all of them that come to mind immediately have been in white. What I love about this look is that while everything about this look on paper should read cheap, tacky, pageant dress but on Kate it is chic, demure with the right amount of sexy. 

How to do you go out with a bang? Just look at Elizabeth Banks who kicked off the final promo tour for the Hunger Games series with Mockingjay Part 2 in grand style wearing an Elie Saab Fall 2015 Couture floral ball gown at the films world premiere in Berlin. This is a beautiful princess moment that I can picture her character, Effie Trinkett, being quite proud of. It may not have been the Atelier Versace moment that I was expecting but it is even more spectacular than what I was expecting. 

I always have one street style look on the list. I am always one of the people who loves a great moment of personal style. Lupita Nyong'o was spotted leaving The View wearing a dress from the BOSS Fall 2015 RTW dress that she paired with a matching blazer, a grey BOSS "Bespoke" handbag, red suede pointed toe pumps, and a pair of black sunglasses. This is an edgy feminine version of a power suit that I immediately fell for. If you are looking for inspiration for hot work wear this is exactly what you should be using as inspiration.
Julianne Moore had an amazing year and it really was hard picking a favorite look of her's to feature on the Best Dressed of the Year list. With all kinds of custom gowns from Chanel and Givenchy it was surprising to me that my favorite look from the stunning redhead was her all black Armani Prive gown worn to the Cannes Film Festival opening ceremony. I love a redhead in black and Julianne pulled off this stunning gown embellished with crystals and feathers. I think it was the feathers, and the emerald Chopard earrings, that made me really love this gown. I am a sucker for feathers. Sleek hair and a perfectly executed smokey eye finished this look to perfection.

Lily James's rise to fashion stardom was paved with princess dresses from the likes of Dior and Elie Saab but it was her sleek modern icy grey/blue custom Balenciaga gown with brass buttons at the "Cinderella" premiere in London. For almost all the premieres it was ball gowns so I was very happy to see Lily change it up with this look. I love how she kept the styling simple adding sleek slicked back hair, a lined eye, and pink pout. This is how you do modern Cinderella. Lily at the end of the year cut her hair and dyed it dark and it's almost like she lost her mojo. I am hoping that she returns to top form in 2016, because this type of moment is one that is forever needed.

Finally I picked Blake Lively in her stunning red Monique Lhuillier Fall 2012 RTW gown at the New York premiere of her film "The Age of Adeline." The promo tour for this film was so much better than the movie and honestly she might have been a little overdressed for the occasion. Blake gave us sexy Marilyn bombshell in this dress which fused ruffles, lace, leather, and volume. The old Hollywood waves, Lorraine Schwartz diamond ear clips added to the high glamour of the look and a Judith Leiber "Koi Fish" swarovski crystal clutch added a quirky fun touch to ensure that Blake sizzled down the carpet. 

It was a hard job taking over 1,300 red carpet looks and narrowing it down to 10 looks. It is a daunting task but someone has to do it. I want to take this moment to thank all of you for helping me have a wonderful year with If I Was A Stylist. 2016 starts a new chapter on my personal journey as for the first time I don't have any school to attend. I am going to work on balancing work life, with blogging and still having time for friends and family. I am formulating some new features for the blog based on things I want to add and things that I have been getting back in my feedback. If you haven't taken my survey please do. It is only 6 questions that help me give you guys what you most want to see. All the feedback I get helps me make your experience on this site more enjoyable. Awards season posts will start on Monday so I am excited to show all of you my wishes.

Photo Credit: Zimbio/Getty

No comments:

Post a Comment