Pages

Monday, February 15, 2016

Best Dressed at the 2016 BAFTA Awards

The BAFTA Awards took place the the Royal Opera House in London last night and Hollywood stars were out in full force. Cate Blanchett, who was nominated for Best Actress, showed up and my heart stopped beating. I have been waiting for a moment like this from Cate since the Cannes Film Festival and she finally gave me a drop dead gorgeous look that reminded me why I call her my red carpet queen. Queen Cate wore a custom Alexander McQueen gown which featured a floral embroidered denim blouse and black feathered skirt. This gown was actually a meshing of two looks from the Alexander McQueen Spring 2016 RTW collection, the bodice and the feathered skirt. This gown meshed those two looks together and Cate made it work with much ease. Cate finished her amazing look with black Giuseppe Zanotti pumps and Tiffany & Co. jewelry.
Julianne Moore was a close second to Cate wearing an amazing black and white custom Armani Prive halter mermaid gown. Julianne has the ability to make so many different types of looks work on the red carpet and here she displays classic glamour. I love that the redheaded actress paired this gown with a pair of emerald Chopard earrings. I always say when you go monochromatic that you you should always add a pop of color and the emerald earrings did a great job at that along with the hot pink lip color that Julianne wore with her gown. 

Saoirse Ronan has been very pretty all awards season but she showed that she can hang with the real big style stars yesterday at the BAFTA Awards. Saoirse wore an absolutely amazing hand beaded firework pattern custom Burberry strapless column gown that she paired with a statement Chopard necklace set with 275 carats fancy colored sapphires, 82 carats fancy colored briolette-cut sapphires, 11 carats round shaped rose-cut diamonds, and 5 carats of pear shaped diamonds. Her deliberately messy elegant updo, smoky eye, and Chopard yellow diamond cocktail ring all rounded off a look that finally made me take notice of the stunning actress. 

Game of Thrones star Emilia Clarke stepped out on the BAFTA Awards red carpet and she did do in fine style wearing a very beautiful red Victoria Beckham gown. Emilia was a presenter last night and I believe that she chose to go with this gown to not overshadow all the nominees, but she slayed the red carpet. A Jimmy Choo clutch and Tiffany & Co. diamonds finished this look.
 Olga Kurylenko was another of the stunning guests at the BAFTA Awards yesterday. She wore a beautiful white Ralph & Russo Spring 2016 Couture short sleeve embroidered sheer gown with a portrait neckline. I was a little hesitant to love this look because Olga has already worn a similar Ralph & Russo gown before but I think that this is just so chic that I can not ignore it. All the elements of this look from the voluminous waves to the Ralph & Russo clutch just scream glamour and that is why she is on this list. 

On any other woman I probably would have said that this orange lace Erdem Pre-Fall 2016 floral embroidered gown would have been inappropriate for the BAFTA Awards but model Dree Hemingway has such a cool girl status for her sense of style that she makes it work. I can only picture someone like Florence Welch being able to sell this gown to me, but I am glad that Dree brought something different to the BAFTA red carpet. I applaud her for taking such a risk.

We are so used to seeing very flirty and feminine looks from Alicia Vikander so I have to give a round of applause for this custom Louis Vuitton crystal embellished leather gown. Inspired by the Spring 2016 RTW collection, it is not something I would have ever pictured on Alicia but she does it an insane amount of justice. This sexy side of Alicia is something that I am hoping that we will see this side of her a little more on the red carpet.
I had never heard of Bel Powley before the BAFTA Awards red carpet last night but I guess I will have to start taking notice of the EE Rising Star nominee as she hit the red carpet wearing a custom Gucci multicolored striped lurex plisse gown. This is another of those looks that I would not pick for the BAFTA Awards but on Bel, who is 23, made me stop and swoon when I saw her on the carpet. 

I think the biggest shock for me is that I am including Rooney Mara in my Best Dressed list. Rooney has failed to excite me this awards season but I was quite drawn to her oyster colored Givenchy Spring 2016 Couture. It is reminiscent of looks that she has worn recently but I think that this time all her styling was on point. I appreciate that it was something visually interesting and not another basic white, black, or nude gown. 

I am going to start off with saying that I love Dakota Johnson wearing this stunning red Christian Dior gown, but I was a little underwhelmed. Dakota looked beautiful but I was expecting a little more from the EE Rising Star who had been delivering red carpet hit after red carpet hit recently. I almost wish that she had switched this with her gold Marc Jacobs gown she wore last week, it would have caused me to push her up this list a few spaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment