Pages

Monday, February 29, 2016

Top 10 Looks From The 2016 Academy Awards

 The Academy Awards took place in Hollywood last night and the stars showed up in droves to celebrate the best films and performances of the past year. My favorite look of the night came from the red carpet queen Cate Blanchett. Cate was nominated for Best Actress for her work in Carol and continued her tradition of wearing Armani Prive at every Oscars that she has been nominated for. Cate looked fantastic wearing a custom seafoam green Armani Prive gown which seemed so fantastical with its organza petals and feathers. With such a statement gown Cate kept her styling very chic with an elegant updo, nude lip, and Tiffany & Co. diamonds. This will be a look that I remember come time to create my Best Dressed of the Year list.
 Lady Gaga was probably the one I was most intrigued to see what she would bring to the red carpet at the Academy Awards and she surely didn't disappoint. Gaga showed up in a white strapless jumpsuit with a detachable skirt custom made for her by friend, designer and stylist Brandon Maxwell inspired by his Fall 2016 RTW collection. Gaga has been a champion of Maxwell's since he launched his collection last September and always look absolutely stunning in his creations. I think only Gaga could get away with wearing red carpet lady pants on the Oscars red carpet. I would have loved to see Gaga wearing a statement diamond necklace but her old Hollywood styling was all on point. Gaga owned the Academy Awards red carpet.

Not many agreed with me but I LOVED Charlize Theron in Christian Dior Couture on the Academy Awards red carpet last night. Many people likened it to the black Dior gown she wore in 2014 and I had flashbacks to her Gucci gown back in 2004 but you know what they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it. This gown is a chic modern look with a lot of glamorous drama and Charlize rocked the simple style with ease down the red carpet. Finished with a statement Harry Winston necklace and a smokey eye and this will be a look one remembers for years.

Brie Larson was nominated for Best Actress for her work in Room at the Academy Awards last night, and won. She did so in fine style rocking a custom blue Gucci gown which took the boho spirit of the brand and amped up the glamour. I love the large vertical ruffles on the skirt, the crystal embellished belt, the slicked back hair, the simple jewels, and the red lip. All of the elements of this look just came together perfectly to ensure that Brie had a major moment on the Oscars red carpet.
 Naomi Watts attended the 2016 Academy Awards as the plus on of Liev Schreiber, who was among the presenters last night, and made one of my dreams come true. Last July when this Armani Prive Fall 2015 Couture gown walked the runway in Paris I wanted to see Naomi in this gown and it featured on my wish list for her Toronto Film Fest appearance. So I let out a bit of a squeal when I saw that Naomi had chosen this gown for the Oscars red carpet. The statement necklace, black clutch, wavy bob, and red lip all just made this look perfect for the red carpet. 

I think my jaw dropped when I saw Saoirse Ronan step out on the Academy Awards red carpet last night. I never would have pictured Saoirse wearing this gown until I saw it. I figured Saoirse was going to wear a British brand on the red carpet so when I saw this emerald Calvin Klein sequined gown with velvet straps I was shocked. Saoirse wanted to bring modern glam to the red carpet bu still hold her native Ireland close to her heart so she wanted to wear green. It was perfection.

Daisy Ridley showed us why she is a fashion force on the Oscars red carpet. Its pretty well know that a gown is the Academy Awards requisite and usually one that has a dramatic train or a full skirt. Daisy shunned the rules and wore a tea length Chanel Spring 2016 Couture embellished top and skirt. I was really shocked that Daisy wore this look and then I was surprised by just how much I loved it. It was a big risk for Daisy and it really paid off.
Julianne Moore was amazing on the Oscars red carpet. While I really wanted to see Rooney Mara wearing this Chanel Spring 2016 Couture gown, I can not deny how gorgeous Julianne is. This is a different look for Julianne, we usually see her wearing very fitted or mermaid silhouettes so it was nice to see a more princessy look from her. This black lace gown with crystal embellishments made for such a classic look and Julianne styled it perfectly.

Olivia Munn walked the Academy Awards red carpet wearing an orange Stella McCartney gown with a sleek asymmetrical caped neckline. Olivia was the only one on the Oscars  red carpet that wore orange and it was a risk that totally paid off. What I think dropped Olivia down this list is when she was on the stage her matching orange lip ended up looking like a construction workers vest. She gave us a modern glam look and I still love it.

I knew I was going to enjoy seeing Chrissy Teigan on the Oscars red carpet but she blew away my expectations wearing a hot off the runaway Marchesa Fall 2016 RTW gown. There were a lot of Marchesa gowns on the red carpet last night but this above all else was my favorite. The illusion tulle gown with red floral embroidery was a daring choice for the pregnant model to make on the red carpet but she make it work and in such a glamorous way.

No comments:

Post a Comment